1. Beverlee McKinsey played Emma Ordway on ANOTHER WORLD in May 1972. The producers liked her so much they cast her as Iris Carrington six months later. She debuted in December 1972 and Iris became one of the most memorable roles in soap history. NBC even gave the character a spin-off series, TEXAS, in 1980. If producers had worried viewers might remember McKinsey as Emma, we may have never been able to watch her brilliant performance as Iris.
2. Jordan Clarke played Dr. Tim Ryan on GUIDING LIGHT in the mid-1970s. In 1983 he returned as Billy Lewis, a role he would play on and off until the show ended in 2009. Clarke won an Emmy for his second role in 2006.
3. Renee Jones played Nikki Wade in DAYS OF OUR LIVES in 1982 then returned as Lexie Carver in 1993. She would successfully play Lexie for the next 19 years.
4. John Considine made waves as Vic Hastings on ANOTHER WORLD from 1974-1976. Vic came to Bay City to run Steve's company while he was prison. Hastings returned as the evil Reginald Love in 1986 and became a memorable supervillain, who loved torturing his family.
1. Josh Taylor was popular for a decade as Chris Kositchek in DAYS OF OUR LIVES. In 1997 the soap brought him back to play Roman Brady, a role he's still in today. Some fans have never accepted him as Roman.
2. Sarah Brown was incredible as Carly Benson in GENERAL HOSPITAL in the 1990s. Her return to the soap as Claudia Zacchara did not have nearly the same impact.
3. Lewis Arlt was a good "bad guy" as Kevin Thatcher on ANOTHER WORLD who was killed in 1984. But when he returned six years later as Ken Jordan, it was a boring mess. Remember the Red Swan?
4. Wayne Northrup was the ultimate hero as Roman Brady in DAYS OF OUR LIVES. His Roman "died" in 1984 then returned in the early 1990s. Having him play Alex North on the same soap in the late 1990s was confusing, especially with Josh Taylor playing Roman at the time, and Drake Hogestyn (a former "Roman") on the canvas.
Many other actors have played more than one role on a single daytime soap. THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL and THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS regularly feature crossovers with some actors playing the same role on both shows (Eileen Davidson's Ashley) and others playing different (John McCook played Lance on Y&R, Eric on B&B, and just visited Y&R as Eric and not Lance. Make sense?). The late Linda Cook played three different roles on AS THE WORLD TURNS.
ANOTHER WORLD may have had the most actors return as new characters including John Aprea, Judith Barcroft, Doris Belack, Lewis Arlt, Linda Dano, John Bolger, Robin Christopher, Carla Borelli, Ed Fry, Christine Jones, Robert Kelker-Kelly and many, many more. The show even brought the popular Sam Groom back as a priest for the series finale in 1999. He had played Russ Matthews in the show's early years opposite Robin Strasser's Rachel.
Which actors who played more than one role on the same soap did you like and dislike? Weigh in below in our Comments section.