|Samuel L. Jackson made a cameo on AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. on|
Tuesday night. Photo Credit: ABC
ABC Tuesday Prime (8:00-11:00 p.m. - 5.5 million and 1.9/6)
With its Tuesday night freshman lineup, ABC was up by 12% from the year-ago night in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 on 10/2/12). The Net beat out Fox's Tuesday lineup (3.4 million and 1.5/4) by 2.1 million viewers and by 27% in Adults 18-49.
MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (8:00-9:00 p.m. - 8.4 million and 3.1/10)
Excluding only the prior week's big debut, week 2 of ABC's MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. delivered the Net's highest Adult 18-49 rating in the Tuesday 8:00-9:00 p.m. time period in 2 years - since 10/10/11. The ABC drama won its hour over NBC's THE VOICE and CBS' NCIS across all key Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54) to rank as Tuesday's No. 1 TV show on all 3 measures.
· A big gainer in early TV playback, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s 3.1 L+SD rating is projected to go up to a 4.3 Adult 18-49 rating in the Live + 3 Day numbers (+38%).
THE GOLDBERGS (9:00-9:30 p.m. - 6.2 million and 2.2/6):
At 9:00 p.m., ABC's THE GOLDBERGS ranked as Tuesday's No. 1 comedy for the 2nd week in a row with Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, beating Fox's NEW GIRL (3.9 million and 1.9/5) head to head in the half-hour by 59% and 16%, respectively. In addition the new ABC comedy improved its time period year to year by 10% in Adults 18-49 (2.0/5 on 10/2/12).
TROPHY WIFE (9:30-10:00 p.m. - 4.3 million and 1.4/4):
At 9:30 p.m., ABC's TROPHY WIFE drew 1.3 million more viewers than Fox's THE MINDY PROJECT (4.3 million vs. 3.0 million) and was the night's 2nd-most-watched comedy, leading all 4 of Fox's sitcoms and trailing only "The Goldbergs."
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 48% currently, from 45% at the same point in 2012. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings), 10/01/13.
For the first time in eight years, NBC has won the opening two Tuesdays of the season among the Big 4 networks in adults 18-49. Last night, NBC swept all six half-hours among those networks with the #1 show of the night, "The Voice," teamed with "Chicago Fire," which is currently reporting series-record ratings.
NBC also swept the Monday half-hours among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in 18-49 and has now won 12 of 12 half-hour among those networks so far this week.
· From 8-10:01 p.m. ET, THE VOICE (4.6 rating, 13 share in adults 18-49, 14.2 million viewers overall from 8-10:01 p.m. ET) is #1 for the two-hour time period in adults 18-49, and virtually all other key demographics and is the #1 show of the night in 18-49 and other measures. Versus last week's fast-affiliate ratings, THE VOICE is even in 18-49 (4.6 vs. 4.6) and up slightly in total viewers (14.150 million vs. 14.137 million). Official nationals for last Tuesday were 4.7/13 and 14.351 million.
· From its first half-hour to its fourth, THE VOICE grew 1.8 rating points or 53% in 18-49 rating (to a 5.2 from a 3.4) and up 42% or nearly 4.9 million persons in total viewers (16.5 million vs. 11.7 million).
· CHICAGO FIRE (2.8/8 in 18-49, 9.000 million viewers from 10:01-11 p.m. ET) once again dominated the 10 p.m. ET slot among ABC, CBS and NBC in 18-49, with a 40% margin of victory over CBS's #2 PERSON OF INTEREST (2.8 vs. 2.0). CHICAGO FIRE also led the hour among those networks in adults 18-34, adults 25-54 and all key adult-female demos.
· Pending updates, CHICAGO FIRE is currently delivering series record ratings, topping last week's 2.7 rating in 18-49 and 8.899 million viewers overall in official nationals (in these preliminary fast-affiliate ratings, last week's results were a 2.8 in 18-49 and 9.254 million viewers overall).
· CHICAGO FIRE beat results for its second episode of last season by 87% in 18-49 rating (2.8 vs. 1.5 on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012) and by 54% in total viewers (9.000 million vs. 5.849 million). The 2.8 rating is NBC's top 18-49 result in this time period with in-season regular programming since May 24, 2011 (THE VOICE). In its first two weeks, CHICAGO FIRE has now delivered NBC's two top 18-49 and total-viewer results in this slot with in-season regular programming since that date.
· Note that in "Live Plus Three Day" ratings last week: CHICAGO FIRE added 30% or 0.80 of a point to its next-day "live plus same day" 18-49 rating (to a 3.47 in L+3 from a 2.67 in L+SD) and in total viewers, added 31% or 2.740 million persons (11.639 million vs. 8.899 million).
· NBC is up 73% versus the second Tuesday of last season in 18-49 (with a 3.8 rating vs. a 2.2 on Oct. 2, 2012) and up 106% in total viewers (12.470 million vs. 6.053 million).
CBS won Tuesday in viewers for the second consecutive week and was second in key demographics, led by NCIS, the most-watched show of the night, according to Nielsen preliminary live plus same day ratings for Oct. 1.
NCIS was first in viewers (19.33m) and second in both adults 25-54 (4.5/12) and adults 18-49 (3.4/11) - both placing ahead of ABC's MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. NCIS was the night's #1 program in viewers.
At 9:00 PM, NCIS: LOS ANGELES was second in viewers (14.79m), adults 25-54 (3.5/08) and adults 18-49 (2.7/07). NCIS: LOS ANGELES was the night's #2 program in viewers, behind NCIS.
At 10:00 PM, PERSON OF INTEREST was first in viewers (12.16m) and second in adults 25-54 (3.0/08) and adults 18-49 (2.0/06).
For the night, CBS was first in viewers (15.43m) and second in adults 25-54 (3.7/09) and adults 18-49 (2.7/08).
Updated Tuesday ratings will be available later today.
Editor's Note: Television viewing on platforms such as DVR, video-on-demand and online streaming continues to grow at a fast pace. Last season during premiere week, Live+7 CBS audiences grew 20% over Live+SD in total viewers, up from 17% in 2012. In A18-49, Live+7 levels grew 29% from Live+SD, up from 23% one year ago. Additionally, many CBS shows experienced as much as a 50% increase in total viewers once full 30-day multi-platform audiences were accounted for. In an effort to quantify how much non-linear viewing adds to Live+SD audiences, CBS Research will provide estimates for series which will include DVR playback as well as multi-platform viewership.