World AIDS Day is held on 1 December each year and is an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV, show their support for people living with HIV and to commemorate people who have died. World AIDS Day was the first ever global health day and the first one was held in 1988.
WE LOVE SOAPS TV is dedicating today to the actors who have lost their lives over the years to the disease. Check back throughout the day as we add new tributes.
Last year, we reflected on the early AIDS storylines on daytime soap operas. Here's a roundup of features from 2010:
- FLASHBACK: How TV Portrays AIDS 1988
- FLASHBACK: Strong Dose of Reality for ABC's ONE LIFE TO LIVE 1992
- Remembering Dawn Rollo: Daytime's First AIDS Victim
- CLASSIC CLIPS: AIDS Comes To Daytime
- WLS World AIDS Day With Michael Sutton - Part One
- WLS World AIDS Day With Michael Sutton - Part Two
- WLS World AIDS Day With Soap Writer Thom Racina
- WLS World AIDS Day With Former Soap Producer Wendy Riche
- WLS World AIDS Day With Soap Writer Claire Labine
- WLS World AIDS Day With Kristen Alderson
- WLS World AIDS Day With Anthony Geary
- WLS World AIDS Day With Ilene Kristen
Why is World AIDS Day important?
Globally an estimated 33.3 million people have HIV. More than 25 million people between 1981 and 2007 have died from the virus, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.
Today, many scientific advances have been made in HIV treatment, there are laws to protect people living with HIV and we understand so much more about the condition. But despite this, people do not know the facts about how to protect themselves and others from HIV, and stigma and discrimination remain a reality for many people living with HIV. World AIDS Day is important as it reminds the public and Government that HIV has not gone away – there is still a vital need to raise money, increase awareness, fight prejudice and improve education.
INTERVIEWS: Kin Shriner Lynn Herring (Part 2) Danna García Robin Mattson Kristian Alfonso
CASTING NEWS: Darin Brooks joining B&B Michelle Stafford leaving Y&R Hunter Tylo leaving B&B
Daytime Emmy Nominations Revealed! Jeanne Cooper dead at 84 - Tribute planned
ALL MY CHILDREN & ONE LIFE TO LIVE shakeup writing teams - Updated AMC/OLTL spoilers