There is no known cure for this but there are treatments which can help relieve the symptoms and improve the quality of life. See below for more details on this condition from endometriosis.org. Feel better, Kirsten!
Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus (the endometrial stroma and glands, which should only be located inside the uterus) is found elsewhere in the body.
It is generally acknowledged that an estimated 10% of all women during their reproductive years (from the onset of menstruation to menopause) are affected by endometriosis. This equates to 176 million women throughout the world, who have to deal with the symptoms of endometriosis during the prime years of their lives.
The most common symptom of endometriosis is pelvic pain.
The pain often correlates to the menstrual cycle, but a woman with endometriosis may also experience pain that doesn’t correlate to her cycle – this is what makes this disease/condition so unpredictable and frustrating.
For many women, the pain of endometriosis is so severe and debilitating that it impacts their lives in significant ways.
Endometriosis can also cause scar tissue and adhesions to develop that can distort a woman’s internal anatomy. In advanced stages, internal organs may fuse together, causing a condition known as a “frozen pelvis.” This is not common, but it does happen.
It is estimated that 30-40% of women with endometriosis may not be able to have children (if you suspect you suffer from infertility, please see our section on endometriosis and infertility).
- Kirsten Storms Not Returning To GENERAL HOSPITAL As Planned; Jen Lilley Continues As Maxie
- Why 2012 Will Be "The Year Of The Soap" (Part 1)
- Why 2012 Will Be "The Year Of The Soap" (Part 2): DARK SHADOWS, RAGGED ISLE, DALLAS, Univision Telenovelas and More
- OPINION: DIRTY SOAP's Farah and Jenna Show New And Wonderful Sides To Themselves
- EVENT: Guzzles and Table Flips and Tweets, Oh My! Five Reasons We Can't Wait for DIRTY SOAP Sunday
- RATINGS: DIRTY SOAP Way Up In New Time Slot! With A Little Kardashian Help
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: WE LOVE SOAPS TV Mired In Farah Fath vs. Kirsten Storms Imbroglio Long Before DIRTY SOAP
- Watch our Exclusive Interview with Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa, executive producers of DIRTY SOAP
- OPINION: DIRTY SOAP's Farah Fath Doesn't Like The Drama. (Uhm...Yes She Does)
- View all DIRTY SOAP features on WeLoveSoaps.com
- EXCLUSIVE: SoapClassics.com President Mark Yates Reveals New Details of ATWT DVD Release - How Did It Happen? What's Next? How You Can Make A Difference!