Mariska Hargitay’s portrayal of Detective Olivia Benson in LAW & ORDER: SVU was the buzz winner for Best Actress in a Drama Series. Edie Falco as Jackie in NURSE JACKIE and Louis C.K. as Louie in the show LOUIE generated the most buzz of their categories, Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, respectively. Each delivered a performance that generated the most buzz of all their categories’ nominees.
Interestingly, nominees who play the titular character, i.e. NURSE JACKIE, DEXTER and LOUIE, are mentioned more frequently in buzz. Louis C.K. garnered the second most buzz among all nominees in the lead acting categories, benefiting from his personal use of social media (especially Twitter) to discuss the show.
The ability of the Emmy’s to generate buzz is also undeniable. While all of the category winners dominated buzz conversations both during the season and following the nominations, most nominees saw considerable increases following the nominations. Connie Britton (FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS) and Mireille Enos (THE KILL), for example, received more buzz mentions following their nominations in July that in the entire ten months prior.
Other findings include:
* Comedy nominees tend to generate more buzz than those in drama series, on average.
* Actress nominees tend to garner a more even share of buzz, whereas the male nominees were dominated by a couple lead characters.
* The Lead Actress in a Drama category had the least buzz overall, while Lead Actor in a Drama had the most.
- NOMINATIONS: 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards
- WINNERS: 2011 Creative Arts Primetime Emmys; BOARDWALK EMPIRE Wins 7; GLEE Wins 2 Including Gwyneth Paltrow