The network has also canceled THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING which failed to hold on to enough of the PRETTY LITTLE LIAR Tuesday night audience.
ABC Family previously renewed breakout hit SWITCHED AT BIRTH for another season.
Meanwhile, the cable net is preparing to give a pilot order to STRUT from writer Amy Sherman-Palladino.
Sherman-Palladino, who was the creative force behind the longtime dramedy GILMORE GIRLS, was asked to come on board and give the show a refreshening after network execs felt the original pilot needed retooling. Sherman-Palladino will executive produce with Anna Mastro, Charlie Stratton and Norman Buckley.
The show centers on a Las Vegas showgirl who unwittingly marries a Texan and becomes a high school drill team instructor.
ABC Family continues to perform well with younger viewers. Check out their end of summer ratings press release below:
ABC Family - Summer 2011RELATED:
Powered by a growing slate of original series, including the launches of SWITCHED AT BIRTH and THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING and the return of PRETTY LITTLE LIARS and THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER, ABC Family delivered its largest summer audience on record in Prime in Total Viewers (1.48 million), Adults 18-34 (431,000), Adults 18-49 (705,000) and Viewers 12-34 (698,000) -- and with all three key female targets: Women 18-34 (302,000), Women 18-49 (486,000) and Females 12-34 (520,000).
ABC Family earned its best competitive summer rank of all time in Prime in Women 18-34 (No. 2), and was also cable's No. 2 network in Females 12-34.
· This marked ABC Family's 5th consecutive summer delivering record levels in Total Viewers, Adults 18-34, Adults 18-49 and Women 18-49, the 6th consecutive summer in Women 18-34, and the 8th in a row in Females 12-34.
· Year to year, ABC Family registered across-the-board increases in Prime, including by 8% in Adults 18-34 (431,000 vs. 399,000), by 4% in Adults 18-49 (705,000 vs. 681,000) and by 5% in Viewers 12-34 (698,000 vs. 666,000).
· In Women 18-34, PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (1.05 million/3.1 rating), THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER (1.03 million/3.0 rating) and SWITCHED AT BIRTH (996,000/2.9 rating) were summer's Top 3 scripted basic cable series.
· In Females 12-34, PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (2.08 million/4.5 rating), SWITCHED AT BIRTH (1.67 million/3.6 rating) and THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER (1.65 million/3.6 rating) were summer's Top 3 scripted basic cable series.
· Newcomer THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING ranked No. 1 across all cable on Tuesdays at 9 o'clock among Females 12-34 (847,000/1.8 rating) and Female Teens (487,000/4.1 rating).
· Launching in mid-August, to date, THE LYING GAME is cable's No. 1 program on Mondays at 8 o'clock in Females 12-34 (789,000/1.7 rating) and Female Teens (434,000/3.6 rating).
· The debut of original movie Cyberbully (7/17/11) stood as summer's No. 1 TV movie in Females 12-34 (1.72 million/3.7 rating) and Female Teens (1.04 million/8.7 rating), and was the No. 2 TV movie in Women 18-34 (678,000/2.0 rating) and Women 18-49 (1.10 million/1.7 rating),
Source: Nielsen Media Research (National Ratings, Summer 11: 5/30/11-8/29/10, Most Current: Live + SD, blended with Live + 7, when available.
- INTERVIEW: Alexandra Chando (Maddie, AS THE WORLD TURNS) in THE LYING GAME; PRETTY LITTLE LIARS meets SWITCHED AT BIRTH
- INTERVIEW: In-Depth with Blair Redford (Ethan Whitehorse)
- INTERVIEW: Kirsten Prout Talks THE LYING GAME, Life As An Actress & More!