TORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY is so seductive, the way it walks the tightrope between telling us too much and being totally obtuse. John Barrowman's Captain Jack Harkness is trying to find out why everyone in the world is not dying (except for him). After "Miracle Day" everything changed. But what? Former ALL MY CHILDREN star Alexa Havens is part of the cast this season helping to solve the mystery along with Mekhi Phifer (Rex) and Eve Myles (Gwen). She is excellent in this role by the way.
We have some theories about what is going on. Admittedly, they're not very good--but here they are! Tell us your favorite in the comments section below. Or, even better, if you have your own theory, write it in!
1. Oswald Danes (Bill Pullman) sold his soul in exchange for everlasting life--unbeknownst to him, it's an everyone-or-no-one sort of set-up.
2. Captain Jack Harkness discovered a new technology, which he first tried out on himself. Unfortunately for him, it's an either/or sort of set-up.
3. It's blowback from some top secret CIA operation involving research that went terribly awry, and Newman from SEINFELD--oops Brian Friedkin--is some kind of evil genius.
4. Phicorp put something in the air or water to stop us all from dying (there must have been some sort of trigger mechanism, of course) so they could make a killing (ha, ha!) off of pain meds and antibiotics. (Just think, a few years ago "Fi-Core" meant something totally different to soap fans.)
5. Something about morphic fields, multiverse travel, and alternative realities?
Agree? Disagree? Let us know your thoughts on the mystery and if you are enjoying the latest season of TORCHWOOD. A new episode airs tonight on Starz.