We have some theories about what is going on. Admittedly, they're not very good--but here they are! Tell us your favorite in the comments section below. Or, even better, if you have your own theory, write it in!
1. Oswald Danes (Bill Pullman) sold his soul in exchange for everlasting life--unbeknownst to him, it's an everyone-or-no-one sort of set-up.
2. Captain Jack Harkness discovered a new technology, which he first tried out on himself. Unfortunately for him, it's an either/or sort of set-up.
3. It's blowback from some top secret CIA operation involving research that went terribly awry, and Newman from SEINFELD--oops Brian Friedkin--is some kind of evil genius.
4. Phicorp put something in the air or water to stop us all from dying (there must have been some sort of trigger mechanism, of course) so they could make a killing (ha, ha!) off of pain meds and antibiotics. (Just think, a few years ago "Fi-Core" meant something totally different to soap fans.)
5. Something about morphic fields, multiverse travel, and alternative realities?
Agree? Disagree? Let us know your thoughts on the mystery and if you are enjoying the latest season of TORCHWOOD. A new episode airs tonight on Starz.